Polyamorous Introvert

One of the biggest challenges in polyamory is scheduling. I made a joke a while back that sex only happens if you put it in google calendar a week in advance. (In case you're wondering, that's not true. Sleep doesn't happen, because I choose sex over sleep, every time.)

Lately I've been having issues with over saturating my schedule. I have two intense relationships, and a potential third. I spend my days being busy doing the things that I need to do for both work and my social life. That means my phone is always buzzing with texts and tweets, my computer always has emails and chats and facebook messages, and if I want to talk to someone on the phone I need to make sure she's available first—because they each have their own lives and their other relationships.

There are worse problems to have. I have a lot of people who want to get to know me better. I'm picky about who I let in, but it doesn't always work out. And sometimes too much happens at once and I need to retreat. I need my alone time. I need to recharge.

Even if I had someone here, I'd probably kick her out of bed and pull the covers up over myself so I could hide.

And that's the reality of being a poly introvert. Sometimes, I just need to shut down the outside world. And that's okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment